Nicotine is a very addictive drug which can cause a variety of serious health problems, help is available when you are trying to give up in the form of nicotine patches, chewing gum and nasal sprays along with these handy tips:
Before you stop smoking
- Make sure friends and family know you are trying to quit and ask them not to smoke around you.
- Wash all your clothes to get rid of the smell.
- Open all the windows and clean carpets and furniture to get rid of the smell.
- Write down how many reasons you can think of to quit smoking.
- Everyday leave it an hour later until you light up the first cigarette of the day.
- If your partner smokes then ask them to quit with you or at the very least not to smoke around you.
- On the day you plan on stopping make sure you have a busy schedule.
- Pick a day to quit and stick to it no matter what happens don’t make excuses.
- A couple of weeks before the date you plan to stop switch to a cigarette which is lower in tar.
- Don’t smoke out of pure habit only light up when you have too.
- Think of quitting smoking as one day at a time not forever.
Positive steps you can take
- Start taking more exercise.
- Change your routine and try to avoid places where you will be most tempted.
- Try to spend as much time as possible in smoke free zones.
- Have something close by that you can nibble on such as carrot sticks, chewing gum, celery or fruit.
- Throw away all your cigarettes and lighters and don’t be tempted to hide emergency cigarettes.
- Try to think of the signs of withdrawal as a positive sign that your body is recovering.
When you are tempted
- Get as much help as you can and use nicotine replacement gum, patches or nasal spray.
- Keep away from friends who are smokers and places where there is smoking.
- Always keep a glass of fruit juice or water by your side and sip it slowly.
- When you have the strong feeling to smoke do anything to keep your mind off it.
- Never give into the temptation of just having one, one will always lead to another and before you know it you’ll be back to where you started.
- Keep a track of the money you saved by marking down every day you didn’t buy cigarettes.
- Treat yourself to something nice if you go a week without having a cigarette.
Benefits of stopping smoking * Get rid of throat itch * Get rid of bad mouth smell, and smelly clothes * Prevent developing chronic bronchitis, lung cancer, heart infarct stroke or atherosclerosis in leg arteries.